I got a price back from my retrimmer guy for the A4’s headliner and pillars and it was almost what I had budgeted for the headliner, pillars, dash and centre console. So after going over my options I decided to tackle the headliner and pillar retrimming myself, but leave the console and dash to the professionals.
I scoured the ‘net for ‘how-to’ guides and after a couple of days researching I had supplies and various Alcantara and Alcantara-like fabric samples showing up at my house.
The genuine Alcantara sample I received seemed to have less stretch and be more difficult to work with than some of the others. I ended up settling for a cheaper alternative (7 times cheaper!) which had a nice colour, texture and reasonable stretch. I ordered 8 meters of this as well as 6 large cans of high-temp spray fabric adhesive.
I started with a simple, flat piece from the rear of the headliner. The spray adhesive is horrible to work with and you have to be really careful to not get any on the good side of the fabric.
Here’s the first piece I finished:
Lovely texture that you can write in 😉
That’s one down, and a whole stack of parts to go!